A big and sturdy person carrying arms with a stiff and stern expression is the prevailing image we have for security guards. Depending on their areas of expertise, there are a variety of security guards that can help both public and private entities or individuals. The following is a breakdown of the variety of different types of security guards:
Personal: these guards are hired with an eye towards providing fool-proof physical security for their employers ranging from dignitaries to VIPS and celebrities.
Armed: these guards are armed and are employed in situations where life and property are at stake and their duties include:
- detecting threats of violence, theft, arson
- possessing licensed weapons with appropriate fire-arm training
- taking complete responsibility for client safety
Corporate: these guards ensure corporate security both internally as well as externally. They safeguard corporate assets, technological innovations and proprietary business formulas in businesses, shopping malls, factories, hospitals and private organizations.
- They are required to be alert and watchful at all times and prevent security threats from inside and outside the organization
- Corporate security personnel are also responsible for the safety of resources, information and people.
- They must possess strong communication skills
- The physical safety of the building rests in their hands.
Residential: these guards are responsible for the safety of residential buildings like apartments, convalescent homes for the elderly and other residential areas such as those that provide Section 8 housing. Residential security guards must know their responsibilities well.
- They must be physically able to stand the majority of the time
- Patrol the area and detect criminal behavior
- Be friendly towards residents
Private: entrepreneurs and businesses hire private security services
Government: these are special security guard services offered to protect governmental buildings and entities. They are answerable to the government. On special occasions they look out for the safety of citizens attending governmental events.
Static: these guards monitor cameras or stand at entrances and exit
Mobile: these guards move around to monitor activities. Patrol services frequently have mobile security guards.
Outsourcing security services to competent security companies is imperative as these companies understand the full gambit of business and private requirements as well as tailoring security guard services with great specificity.